Jack Johnson: Reason 55

by Jack Johnson on November 5, 2012 · 10 comments

I’ve met President Obama twice, and both times he gave me a hug, not a handshake. Maybe that’s not a good enough reason to vote for him but it sure makes me trust him more. This past spring my high school football team beat Obama’s high school football team for the Hawai’i state championship. That’s definitely not a good reason to vote for him, that’s just me bragging that we are from the same state. I’m lucky enough to still live here in Hawai’i where the sunsets are beautiful, but they are not black and white. It’s a complex place, just as the rest of the world around it.

In 2009 the world was no less complex. That January I traveled to Washington DC to play music at President Obama’s Home State Ball in celebration of his inauguration. It was a historic day, and I felt blessed to be involved. The air outside was freezing but people everywhere, including myself, were warm with a sense of hope. But I also remember hoping that people weren’t letting their hopes become unrealistic. Anyone who was expecting all of our problems to be solved in four years wasn’t paying attention to the depth of the issues or the congressional elections.

Now I find myself patiently hopeful, realizing that sometimes evolution is better than revolution. Although there are several reasons that I will be voting for Obama in 2012, I’ll focus on one. As a father of three I could never consider voting for a candidate that mocks the idea of climate change. I’m voting for the candidate that believes climate change is “no joke” and is a “threat to our children’s future.” I want someone who understands the enormity of the problem and is willing to work toward a solution. In this upcoming election I will be voting for President Obama not only for his pledged support of renewable energy in the future, but also for the work that he has already done.

Mitt Romney has said, “I’m not in this race to slow the rise of the oceans or to heal the planet.” Well I love surfing in those oceans and I want my kids and their kids to be able to do the same. President Obama is a body surfer, which in Hawaii actually does count as one more reason to vote for him. He has a profound respect for nature and an understanding of the work that we need to do to keep it in balance. It’s nice to think that one of the most influential men in the world is able to find joy in something as simple as riding waves. I hope that one day we have a chance to surf together, but not in the near future. I’m hoping he’ll be too busy for the next four years.

Jack Johnson is a musician and surfer. His most recent album is Jack Johnson & Friends — Best of Kokua Festival which came out earlier this year. This article was reprinted with permission and originally appeared at 90days90reasons.com. Photo courtesy of the talented Chris Orwig.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

Jim Covell November 5, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Romney is a body boarder and he didn’t abandon any Americans in Libya.

Dore Silvey November 5, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Beautifully written from your point of view. Mitt agrees with the POTUS on just about everything (per his last debate) so why not keep things the same?

KATHY ORNSTEIN November 5, 2012 at 5:43 pm

THE BIGGEST PROBLEM THAT WE ARE FACING TODAY IS CHEMTRAILS/GEOENGINEERING. OBAMA SCIENTIFIC ADVISOR JOHN HOLDREN COMES OUT OPENLY FOR GEOENGINEERING THIS PLANET. PLEASE SEE WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE THEY SPRAYING?? AND WHY IN THE WORLD ARE THEY SPRAYING.??? BOTH DOCUMENTARIES CAN BE SEEN ON YOUTUBE. MICHAEL MURPHY IS THE PRODUCER AND DIRECTOR OF THESE DOCUMENTARIES. MICHAEL MURPHY IS ALSO AN ENVIORNMENTALIST. HIS WEBSITE IS http://WWW.truthmediaproductions.us

KATHY ORNSTEIN November 5, 2012 at 5:51 pm

ALSO SEE MICHAEL MURPHY ON DISCOVERY CHANNEL. ALSO CHECK OUT http://WWW.aircrap.org I AM VOTED FOR A 3RD PARTY CANDIDATE AND THAT IS GARY JOHNSON. HE FOLLOWS THE CONSTITUTION. I AM ALSO BELIEVE THAT WE HAVE THE RIGHT TO BREATHE HEALTHY AIR. CHEMTRAILS IS NOT PROVIDING US WE CLEAN AIR BUT TOXIC SKIES. IT HAS BEEN TESTED IN MY BACKYARD AND ELSEWHERE AROUND THE WORLD AND ALSO RAIN WATER. THAT WHAT IS COMING DOWN IS HEAVY METALS SUCH AS BARIUM SALTS, ALUMINUM OXIDES ETC. MANY PEOPLE ARE GETTING SICK IN THEIR LUNGS, HEART ATTACKS, MEMORY LOSS ETC. IT IS ALSO CONTROLS OUR WEATHER.

Heidi November 5, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Thank you, Jack! Some of the very reasons I have cast my vote for Obama as well. In addition, Obama does not have an outdated & old-fashioned approach to fixing our problems & vision for the future. He sees that we need long term strategies to maintain our competitiveness in the global marketplace – focusing on new technologies and outside of the box thinking rather than the pathetic old-school strategy of starting another conflict to line the pockets of those in that industry and create greater animosity for our nation internationally. I am voting for a candidate whose life has been dedicated to public service rather than profit. It’s sad that Romney feels 47% of us are basically mooches. Obama sees us as the hope for the future, not a liability to be dealt with. I cast my vote for the positive!

steve hammon November 6, 2012 at 7:00 am

i guess ill stop listening to jj music i dont want any more of this president,, any one want some free cds, steve god bless america

B-ry November 6, 2012 at 10:55 am

Hahaha ^ thats your reasoning to not listening to music you’ve loved for years? Because you and the musician don’t share political views? That’s fucking classic.

Byron B November 7, 2012 at 9:23 am

I love it…well put.

Byron B November 7, 2012 at 9:22 am

So, you trust the man more because he gave you a hug? Judas betrayed Jesus with a kiss and whether or not you believe in religion, the moral/point of the story is the same.

Can’t we just get back to the joy of riding waves and enjoying this great planet and leave the political dog and pony bullshit behind? It just doesn’t matter. Obama is a divider plain and simple. Thisl ife si about people and the relationships you buitl along the way. I highly doubt anyone is going to be on their deathbed saying “boy I sure am glad I drove that Prius…look at what I did!!”

Whatever…the joy of sliding….isn’t that why we do what we do? Over it already in O’Side…

Mark eagleton November 14, 2012 at 10:00 pm